Re: KDE/Qt Status in Debian dists

Date sent:      	Wed, 07 Apr 1999 05:11:27 -0400
From:           	Sean <snmjohnson@iclub.org>
To:             	Terry Hancock <hancock@earthlink.net>
Copies to:      	debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject:        	Re: KDE/Qt Status in Debian dists

> Just bypass the whole package manager, download the source, compile and
> install. This way when you decide to upgrade you won't have to worry about
> qt-kde getting broken unless some of their support libraries change.  And
> even if that does happen, it would just mean that you would need to
> recompile & install.
>
> Sean
>

> Terry Hancock wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I've installed the "Hamm" (=2.0) distribution of Debian Linux from CD,
> > and I intended from the start to install KDE as quickly as I could, but
> > Debian has since gone to "Slink" (=2.1).
> >
> > On the Hamm CDs, the "Qt" library required by KDE is not included for
> > licensing reasons. However, the Troll Tech website claims the newer
> > versions of Qt are "free" software, apparently resolving previous
> > licensing conflicts. (?)
> >
> > The Qt library debian package _is_ on the FTP site, but unfortunately,
> > when I try to update the package from there using dselect, I get a
> > cascade of dependencies -- basically dselect wants to upgrade my whole
> > system to the Slink distribution.  This would be okay, except for the
> > downtime.
> >
> > I'd prefer to get the "Slink" CDs, but will the Qt library be on them?
> >
> > I have little time to work with this computer, and I fear that if I get
> > Slink, "Potato" will be out before I get the Qt package, and I'll be
> > back where I started. :)
> >
> > Also, can you get dselect to _downgrade_ your packages?  I've now got
> > some kind of mixture of Hamm and Slink packages on this system, and I'm
> > not sure how stable that is.  I wish dselect gave you a little more
> > control, but I haven't quite figured out how to do everything with dpkg.
> >
> > Would appreciate any help at all, thanks!
> >
> > Terry Hancock
> > hancock@earthlink.net

Hi team,
I downloaded the slink debs from
ftp://ftp.de.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/1.1/distribution/deb/slink/binary-i386.
I downloaded qt1g 1.42 debs from unstable. I don't recall other
dependencies, the rest of the dependencies I think were in the kde
debs.  So if you load in correct order kde will be up and running in no
time.  A whole lot less than getting gnome running.  Only one set of
dependencies external to kde  My system is hamm.
cheers,
Mike