Re: question regarding hardware conflict and linux

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Ferathonur Luthienell wrote:

> Hello
>
> After recently downloading Linux from the Debian website and
> installing it on my machine, I had trouble connecting to my ISP
> through Linux.  After a little reading I realized my UsRobotics
> Winmodem is not compatible with it.  Can you suggest and inexpensive
> modem that is compatible with both MsDos/windows and Linux? I'd
> appreciate any advice you could share.

Basically any external modem satisfies these requirements.  Make sure you
have 16550 UARTs on your serial ports, though, if you get an external
modem.  Chances are, with any newer computer, you will, but to be safe,
the DOS utility MSD.EXE which comes with MSDOS 6.22 and(I think) Windows95
will tell you, just boot into DOS to use it.

Other than that, stay away from internal modems that say "Winmodem" or
"HSP" as these are software modems that will only work with windows.

The above is the purely technical info, below are my personal opinions.

I have had extremely bad luck with USR modems.
I have had nothing but excellent luck with Zoom modems.

Zoom are also very cheap modems, so you might want to look into that.

Good luck, hope this helps.

-Dano