Re: IBM Ultrastar U2W problems

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999,  Raymond A. Ingles wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 illusion@webzone.net wrote:
>
> > One thing you may want to check is the cable.  That's one of the biggest
> > trouble-makers when dealing with SCSI problems, especially in Linux,
> > from what I've noticed.  Low quality or older cables are notorious for
> > giving headaches, especially with high-speed SCSI.
>
>  That's for sure. Make sure that your setup complies with the SCSI specs.
> Try a different cable, make sure you've got good termination, and so
> forth.

Yes, it turned out that the termination is the probable cause of the
problem. The disk doesn't have `termination' jumper for LVD, the one
which it does have forces the drive to work in SE mode and I don't want
that. I assumed that the disk has some sort of active termintation so that
I simply plugged it in. The IBM website doen't provide much relevant
info, however, when I called the tech support I was told that the disk
does NOT provide termination so that I ordered the LVD terminator.
Hopefuly that will help.

Dept. of Physics and Astronomy              |   jozef@fatra.ph.hunter.cuny.edu
Hunter College, City University of New York |                     212-772-4032