Re: pppd problems

Chris writes:
> I added a user to the dialout group,
> modified the permissions on all of the files in a reasonable manner,

The pppd files are in the 'dip' group.  Did you change them?

> Now, I have modified the permissions on my modem a number of times, but
> the pppd used to reply:

Since pppd runs as root, the modem permissions don't matter.

> Finally, the pppd kept demanding a .ppprc file,...

That's weird.

> Is this a problem with the program itself, or am I missing something in
> the configuration?

I'm also using pppd-2.3.6 and I can run pon as a user with no trouble and
no .ppprc.

Have you tried setting up ppp with pppconfig and using pon and poff?  I
know you want to use wvdial, but that might give you some diagnostic
information.

I don't understand why Avery wants you to use 'local'.  That turns off use
of the modem control lines.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)