pppd problems

Hello, all.  I have been struggling valiantly to get a user to connect to
an ISP using wvdial, but so far, no dice.  Here's the deal: everything
works very nicely for the root, but it's been an awful struggle to get a
user to that oh-so-desirable state.  I added a user to the dialout group,
modified the permissions on all of the files in a reasonable manner, but I
have been unable to get the pppd to play nicely with the user.  Currently,
this is the error I get:

Apr  5 22:13:37 cmayes pppd[3037]: Failed to reopen /dev/ttyS1: Function
not implemented

Now, I have modified the permissions on my modem a number of times, but
the pppd used to reply:

Apr  5 19:41:29 cmayes pppd[1824]: Failed to reopen /dev/ttyS1: Permission
denied

I hadn't changed the permissions on the device when it decided to be nice.
Here are the current permissions:

crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  65 Apr  5 22:22 /dev/ttyS1

Since root has the same permissions, it seemed reasonable that they would
work for a user (though root can get around such things...)

I have been discussing this problem for most of the day today, and Avery
thinks that it's a convoluted permissions problem.  I don't know the
diffrerence between setuid and setgid, but neither one seem to work for
me.  Here are the current permissions on the pppd, which work for root,
but not for a user:

-rwsr-xr--   1 root     dialout    113724 Mar 23 06:22 /usr/sbin/pppd

It looks like the permissions that Avery suggested, but they do not work.

I also blew away the default options file and have started from scratch.
Currently, it contains:

lock
local (per Avery's suggestion).

I have the New pppd set to yes in my wvdial.conf file.  If it helps, the
/etc/ppp/peers/wvdial contains:

noauth
name wvdial

Finally, the pppd kept demanding a .ppprc file, so I essentially copied
the options file and put it there.  I also tried leaving it blank, but it
had the same error.  Is this a problem with the program itself, or am I
missing something in the configuration?  Here are my stats:

Debian 2.1 (mix of stable and unstable), pppd version 2.3.6, kernel 2.0.36
(stock), Celeron 333a, 128 MB RAM...  If you need more info, I can
accomodate.  Thanks!

-Chris