Re: ip-up for each user?

Robbie Huffman writes:
> So how does fetchmail know who to run as? I'm supposing as the user who
> called pppd, right?

It will run as root, because that is what pppd runs as.

> Otherwise more hacking will be necessary.

The conventional thing to do is to have root's .forward push the incoming
mail through procmail or mailagent.  I do it slightly differently.  I have
a user named 'postman' that exists just to receive mail.  In ip-up.d I have

su -c "fetchmail -v"  postman

which runs fetchmail as postman.  postman's .forward pushes the mail
through mailagent, using rules that are conveniently located in postman's
home directory, which is named 'postoffice'.   This nicely centralizes all
the incoming mail stuff without cluttering root's home, and reduces the
number of daemons running as root.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)