Re: X thinks my screen is larger than it actually is

On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 11:11:37AM +0200, Marcus Claren wrote:
> Hi!
> I've got a very annoying problem. My X server seems to
> think that my screen is bigger than it actually is.
[...]
> Some guy at irc told me that this could be due to
> that I've set my virtual res too high in the XF86Config-
> file, but he couldn't explain to me exactly how to
> change this.

Well, the first thing to do it determine if this is actually a virtual
desktop problem.

If, when you move the mouse pointer against one of the edges of the screen,
your desktop starts to "slide around", then it is very likely the case that
your virtual desktop is larger than your screen resolution.  Be sure and
try all four edges.

The size of the virtual desktop is controlled in the Screen section of the
XF86Config file.

For instance, here's mine:

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "Accel"
   Device          "ATI Xpert@Play"
   Monitor         "Sony 200sf"
   BlankTime       0
   DefaultColorDepth 32
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "1376x1032" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "512x384"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        16
      Modes        "1376x1032" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "512x384"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        32
      Modes        "1376x1032" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "512x384"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

As you can see, I have no "Virtual" line.  If I did, it would be in the
Display subsections, with "Depth" and "Modes".

The XF86Config manpage says:

               Virtual xdim ydim
                   This  optional  entry  specifies  the  virtual
                   screen  resolution to be used.  xdim must be a
                   multiple of either 8 or 16 for most  colour  X
                   servers,   and   a  multiple  of  32  for  the
                   monochrome X server.  The given value will  be
                   rounded  down  if  this  is not the case.  For
                   most X servers,  video  modes  which  are  too
                   large  for  the specified virtual size will be
                   rejected.  If this entry is not  present,  the
                   virtual  screen  resolution  will  be  set  to
                   accommodate all the valid video modes given in
                   the  Modes  entry.  Some X servers do not sup­
                   port this entry.  Refer to the  appropriate  X
                   server manual pages for details.

So, in my case, my virtual resolution is 1376x1032, because that is the
largest mode listed (I have no invalid modes).  Furthermore, because
1376x1032 is listed first, it is the default mode.  So I startup with a
virtual resolution that is the same as the screen resolution.

If I use <CTRL-ALT-KEYPAD_PLUS> to "zoom in" (proceed forward along the
list of modes, which are in my case progressively lower in resolution),
then I get virtual desktop effects.

If it turns out your problem is not the virtual desktop, you will need to
talk to a Window Maker guru.  There are plenty here, but I'm a Luddite and
stick with fvwm.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   Suffer before God and ye shall be
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   redeemed.  God loves us, so He makes us