Re: Good notation program for linux

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Marcus Claren wrote:
> Subject: Good notation program for linux

> Does anybody know of a good music writing program for linux,
> preferrably deb - packaged?

Hi Marcus:

I too need a program that will notate music as well as
something that will take files from that notation and
create MIDI files, and play them.

As I look I see that there are many Linux music programs
available, but I have no experience with them. I took the
opportunity to look.

I looked in the the Packages.gz files from the Debian
Potato distribution. There many programs that refer to music.
Some of these in  .../dists/potato/contrib/...  are
	musiclyr
	pmx

In .../dists/potato/main/... some are
	lillypond
	abc2ps
	abcmidi
	rosegarden

In .../dists/potato/non-free/... some are
	abc2mtex
	musixtex
	opustex

You can look in the Packages files to see the description
of the package.

I hope this helps, and if you decide to use one of these
I'd like to know which one, and how well it does the job.

--David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux: Because the bugs are acknowledged and repaired quickly.
		  Because the support is free, fast, and useful.
	          Besides, it is free: Would you drive a car with the
		  hood welded shut?