Having trouble setting up PPP client-server dialup

Hi all-

Recently I've been trying to set up PPP between two machines running Slink,
and I'm having a lot of frustration watching the PAP and LCP diagnostics
seemingly slide by each other.  I thought I had it made once I got PPP
running on both machines, and had the one dialing up the other, but now I
watch with plog -f as the two machines seem to chat back and forth for a
few minutes but never establish a real link.

I thought it might be helpful if I understood the different protocols
better, but the documentation in the man pages and PPP docs are rather
confusing, and don't really explain how the different protocols work.

So first off, does anyone have any suggestions for where I can find some
really good, helpful docs on PPP and PAP and whatever else I may need for
this?

Secondly, has anyone out there done this with slink, and might you have any
suggestions for what I may be doing wrong at this point?  I've tinkered
with the various configuration files, including /etc/ppp/pap-secrets on
both machines to no avail.  I'm sure something is just wrong or backwards
somewhere, but how to find out where???

Thanks for any help or suggestions.  If you could e-mail me directly that
would be great, since I'm subscribed to the digest and might not see your