help with timezone

I installed glibc2.1 and it tell me that it conflicts with timezones.
Fine, I purge timezones. But now when I type `date', I get:

 Mon Apr  5 02:20:09 /etc/localtime 1999

Fair enough, I rerun tzconfig. But the result is even worse. timezone
now thinks that my clock is set to GMT time, so date's output is now
completely bogus!

My question is:

HOW to tell timezone that my system clock is set to local time and
that I with to use daylight saving? (As the initial installation
program did it for me.)

The moral of the story:
If you install glibc2.1, _remove_ the timezones package but DO NOT
_purge_ it!!!

--
Linh Dang