Using xawtv

I installed my WinTV card properly from the kernel 2.2.4
and dmesg shows:

i2c: initialized
Linux video capture interface: v1.00
bttv0: Brooktree Bt878 (rev 2) bus: 0, devfn: 80, irq: 9, memory:
0xffdfe000.
bttv: 1 Bt8xx card(s) found.
bttv0: Hauppauge eeprom: tuner=Philips FM1236 (2)
bttv0: audio chip: TDA9850
bttv0: model: BT878(Hauppauge new)

and when I run xawtv from xterm logged in as root or any other user
I get:

home:~# xawtv
this is xawtv-2.19
sh: v4l-conf: command not found
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
DGA: server=1.0, include=1.0
VidMode: server=0.8, include=0.8
  available video mode(s): 1024x768
The app-defaults file is not correctly installed.
Your fault (core dumped)

I did a `find / -name v43-conf` and it returned nothing
just as locate and whereis didn't return anything prior to using find