Re: What DO you lose with Linux ???

--- John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> wrote:

> What's the accepted method of sending a file to a
> person that MUST not
> get into unfriendly hands, but needs to get between
> users that have no
> access to the other's machine, due to dynamic PPP
> and hostile ISPs, then?

Dynamic IP addresses can be taken care of using
services like dyndns.org, ddns.org & many others.  My
machine is online several hours a day using dyndns, I
have the proftpd server running and can allow secure
access via this or even using Apache.  If I was to
have such a "hostile ISP" I would switch to one of the
many available in most areas of the world.  Many ISPs
however might be considered "hostile" by newbies for
not allowing large attachments or charging for excess
mail storage.

> This method should be as easy and as transportable
> as POPmail, not
> involve other servers in any way save routing, be
> able to be used
> internationally, and ensure delivery to only the
> intended person.

Why, just to bend the rules to your definition of what
the method "should be"?  That's a little like saying
"I'm now using the internet, you must all bend to my
definition of what e-mail should be".

> Give
> up? Well so do I.  Solve this problem before you
> beef about how large
> attachments to email is evil.

You can give up if you like, but I'll continue to take
the position that e-mail is for message exchange not
file exchange.  There are established methods for
secure file transfer & by the way, e-mail is most
definitely not the most secure method of transfer for
any file that "MUST not get into unfriendly hands".

I will continue to beef about large attachments when
they are sent to me and mine unrequested & unwelcome.
There are solutions available if you would look,
perhaps they're not as "easy and transportable" but
they are there, they are established and they are the
proper way of handling large file transfer, secure or
not.

Regards, G.S.