Re: New Building Voice/Data Recommendations

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Walter L. Preuninger II wrote:

 : I will soon be moving into a 32' x 58' 'manufactured' house.  It is a 3
 : bedroom, with 1 room being 'the computer room'. I have several questions
 : concerning the wiring for phone and networking.
 :
 : Using cat 5 cable, should I run 1 run for voice, and 1 for data? Or can I
 : use 4 & 5 for the voice. I want to run 10/100.

Use seperate cables for data and phone.  Phone doesn't have to be CAT 5
if cost is an issue.

 : Should this/these be in pvc or metal conduit? Should the cat 5 be of
 : shielded variety? Should the phone connection demark be in the same area as
 : the data termination points?

Hmm ... not my area of expertise.  However, I think interior conduit
could be wahtever is most cost effective.  I don't believe you need
shielded cable inside, either.

Most newer homes I've seen have a punchdown block for phone, a cable TV
splitter, and a CAT 5 patch panel all in the same location, usually
somewhere near the junction box.  That way everything's in the same
location.  You're probably going to want to mount a hub or switch in
this location, or your CAT 5 cable is fairly useless.

 : I would really like to have atleast 2 walls in each room of the house
 : covered for voice and data. Cost is of some concern, but my employeer will
 : cover the cost of the cable.
 :
 : Between the house and the office (<300ft) we have an electrical line in pvc
 : in a ditch. The will be wiring me up to work, and need to know if  I:
 :
 : need to look at fiber or is it fibre? ;)
 : Does a cat 5 or enhanced cat 5 cable need to be shielded and in a seperate
 : conduit?

Now I'm losing you ... how exactly are you connecting data-wise to your
employer?  Some fiber solution?  Cable modem?  DSL?

With cable modem or DSL, the way to go is to place the "modem" device in
your demarc room - on top of the Ethernet switch is a good place!  It's
then a simple matter of plugging the "modem" into the switch, and you're
ready to go (though some cable modem services require a proxy between
the "modem" and the switch if you're using more than four devices - our
cable modem service works this way, for example.  I believe many DSL
services have similar limits).

Otherwise it would appear your employer has som alternate access
mechanism in mind.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD