Wvdial permissions

I always end up doing horrible, insecure hacks in order to access the
wvdial stuff, and since I am now using wvdial's "home distribution, I'd
like to do it properly.  Here's the current error:

cmayes:~$ wvdial
--> Can't read config file: Permission denied

Here's the config file's permissions:
-rw-r-----   1 root     dialout       186 Mar 29 21:54 /etc/wvdial.conf

This means that the dialout group can read it, right?  So, I did this to
the dialout line of /etc/group:
dialout:x:20:cmayes:

Is that the right way to do it?  It still doesn't work, so aparrently not
;-)  As always, your help is very much appreciated.  Thanks!

-Chris