Re: What DO you lose with Linux ???

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 12:41:20AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:22:47 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 08:45:09PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >>     This is the proper thing to do since it then lets the other end decide
> >> not only *IF* they want the file, but *when* then want the file.
>
> >If the sending user is on a dialup connection, how on earth can this work?
> >Think about it.
>
>     Your homework assignment, should you choose to accept it, Hamish, is

Steve, your credibility would improve incredibly if you weren't so
damn patronising.

> this.  To figure out ways for people on dial-up connections to allow people
> to download files from an embedded URL.  Your tools are the following:
>
> A local FTP client so the person can upload the file to one of the following
> An ISP/company/orignization run HTTP server.
> An ISP/company/originzation run FTP server.

This is way ugly.

> as the standards and conventions surrounding them.  One of which is the
> embedded HTTP defiled URL inside an email message sent and received by a
> combonation of SMTP and POP3/IMAP4rev2 to direct them to a proper FTP
> location.

It would be better, IMHO, for the mail client at the receipient's end
to be able to retrieve the message without any attachments, then download
them from the server if needed. I don't like the idea of pointers to files,
except where such files are ALREADY published.

>     For internal corporate use, the sharing of files was, again, built into
> the systems of yesteryear.  That would be what *GROUPS* are for on the
> system we all know and love, Unix.  It is so a GROUP of people would have
> access to read and or change files so that said GROUP of people could
> cooperate on a project.

And the relevance of this paragraph is?

>     So, uh, Hamish, without being to provocotive for you...  How, EXACTLY,
> would you take it to some upstart developer *demanding* changes in the way
> Debian does things even though there are clear procedures, conventions and
> techology to allow him to do exactly what he wants if he only took the time
> to learn it?

I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with the issue of large
email messages. Perhaps you could debate this with someone who does.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3TYD.