access for non-us packages

IIci 20/1G 68030 33.6 dial-up stand-alone w/ slink 2.1 installed 3/9/99.
I am a newbie. I apologize if the answer is already out there, but I
couldn't find it (about one week trying).
I have just the basics installed, no man pages yet.

Due to the amount of time it was taking to obtain selected packages in
dselect, I edited against the Access defaults to try specific mirror
sites. I'm back to what I think were the suggested paths. I've tried:
http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US and
http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US non-US main contrib non-free
which I determined from reading the source for apt.

During Upgrade it seems like the http.us.debian.org...path is working,
but the non-us.debian.org... is not. It appears all efforts to access
non-us.debian.org... sites return a 404 Not Found. At the end of Upgrade
I get the error "E: Packages file
/var/state/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_stable_non-US_binary-m68k_Packages
has changed" and the script tells me to correct this. How should the
Access paths be configured?

Is it unrealistic to expect success attempting to install from the net
or should I surrender to CD's?

Is there a faster way to obtain some bells and whistles via the net? My
current plan is to Install the minimum necessary to get X Window running
with wmaker and a couple of games, then add packages later.

Pat Greenwood
Omaha
pegreenw@ne.uswest.net