Re: Help with printers

I couldn't initially share my printer when I upgraded from hamm to slink;
in fact, I couldn't even print from my local printer.
To solve my problem, I decided it was a good time to switch from the lpr
package to the more complex/complete/modern lprng package.
I could then print from my local computer, but not from remote computers.
So I commented the following two lines in
   /etc/lpd.perms

   ##########REJECT SERVICE=XRPQ NOT SERVER
   ##########REJECT SERVICE=CSU

though I probably needed only comment the first one.
Then my remote computers could print through my local computer.
Perhaps naively, I see little security problem with printing.
At worst, I would run out of paper.
With printing security problems,  I shouldn't get a new sneeky root user and
corrupted files.

When giving printer access to other computers, I usually simultaneously want to
give user access.
So, I leave /etc/hosts.lpd with no entries,
then make my entries in /etc/hosts.equiv.
For example, here are some of my entries,
   cramer   #a computer at work better specified in /etc/hosts
   tomato   #an NT computer at home from which I print through my Linux
computer

I can't help you with magicfilter, though you could recreate /etc/printcap
  magicfilterconfig   --force
Magicfilter worked well on an HP III for me.
I currently use magicfilter with a postscript printer, so I can't help much.
But I suspect magicfilter would just replace ps600-filter with ljet4l-filter
(magicfilter includes this file) in my /etc/printcap code,

   lp|lex|Lexmark Optra Rt+:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lex:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/ps600-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

While you should probably approach this problem through magicfilter,
I remember seeing Sun code to accomodate the form feed.
There was a file that looked something like
   cat         #this kept the input file going through the pipe.
   echo -e '\f'

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,		Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@mnsinc.com	http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"A poor man associating with a rich man will soon be too poor
to buy even a pair of breeches."                   --Chinese Proverb