Re: 386/4MB RAM?

On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 10:13:41AM +0100, Vincent Murphy wrote:
>  i want to install linux (debian if possible) on a 386SX with 4MB RAM and
> a 51MB HD.  it will have an ISDN terminal adapter and a 3c509 network
> transciever.  can i use debian?  if i can't, how do i go about it?  i'm
> open to suggestions about other (*BSD?) kernels.

What are you going to use this for?  From the hardware that you listed above,
it seems like it will just be a router for your home network.  If that is the
case, I would recommend not using any distro.  Instead read the Boot Disk
HOW TO and rolling your own.  Just do like the how-to says, but don't load the
file systems into ram, put them on your 51 Meg HD.  You will save yourself
a lot of head-aches this way, cause you will have a very functional system
using only about 4Meg of space.

HTH,
Bill