Re: Creation of Device for CD-ROM

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Russell Rademacher wrote:

 : Hello.
 :
 :         Figures...  Unfortunably... I do not have those devs on my dev
 : directory.  So.. it seems that I need to make those devices.  Can you help on
 : that so I can get my CD-ROM working?  Either a copy of those files or other
 : methods will help so I can get it moving.

Supposedly `/dev/MAKEDEV sbpcd' will create the sbpcd devices, but it
doesn't work here, for some reason.  I've never had good luck with
/dev/MAKEDEV; I think it's cursed.

If you want to use mknod, the major/minor numbers are as follows:

nnorman@brahe:~ $ ll /dev/sbpcd*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            6 Jun  2  1998 /dev/sbpcd -> sbpcd0
br--r-----   1 root     cdrom     25,   0 May 12  1998 /dev/sbpcd0
br--r-----   1 root     cdrom     25,   1 May 12  1998 /dev/sbpcd1
br--r-----   1 root     cdrom     25,   2 May 12  1998 /dev/sbpcd2
br--r-----   1 root     cdrom     25,   3 May 12  1998 /dev/sbpcd3

so the following commands will do it:

nnorman@brahe:~ $ cd /dev
nnorman@brahe:/dev $ sudo mknod -m 0440 sbpcd0 b 25 0
nnorman@brahe:/dev $ sudo mknod -m 0440 sbpcd1 b 25 1
nnorman@brahe:/dev $ sudo mknod -m 0440 sbpcd2 b 25 2
nnorman@brahe:/dev $ sudo mknod -m 0440 sbpcd3 b 25 3
nnorman@brahe:/dev $ sudo mknod -m 0440 sbpcd4 b 25 4
nnorman@brahe:/dev $ sudo ln -s sbpcd0 sbpcd

HTH

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD