Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:14:10 -0600 (CST)
From: Fethi A. Okyar <afo@or219a.e1.iit.edu>
To: "Noah L. Meyerhans" <frodo@ccs.neu.edu>
Subject: Re: kernel eats alot of memory

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Fethi A. Okyar wrote:
>
> > Q:
> > Don't you think this is a lot of memory being used when I'm not
> > running X11 ?
> > So I'm afraid to compile a kernel right now, and thinking of
> > rebooting the system...
>
> You don't need to rebuild your kernel; there's nothing wrong with it.  The
> memory that shows up as "in use" is being used by the kernel to cache
> things such as disk accesses.  It is available for any program that needs
> it, though.  The kernel will simply re-adjust its caches so it can
> allocate memory to other programs that need it.
>
> > The other thing is my clock got screwed up, I didn't have that
> > problem before, thus here's the next :
> >
> > Q:
> > Could there be any relation between the system being up for
> > such and such time, and the clock getting behind the actual time?
> >

> I doubt it.  Remember, Linux is used extensively in server environments
> where it is left on for weeks or months at a time.  It would be
> unacceptable if the clock didn't keep accurate time on these machines.
> How far off is your clock getting?
>
> If you're on a network, you can run xntp to synchronize you clock with
> xntp servers over the network.  This will keep your clock accurate to
> within a few milliseconds or something.  The list of public xntp servers
> is installed with the xntp package.
>
> noah

thanks for your reply, I think that the problem with the clock is somehow
related with the BIOS-APM. I remember somewhere I read about not to use
the APM features offered by the BIOS, and I hae been using them to my
convenience. I think the clock stops when I use the suspend switch and
then resume when I start back. So I guess I'll have to rebuild my kernel
with APM features compiled in. I hope this will work.

fethi