Re: Can't connect to display :0?

This is X-security mechanism - Magic Cookies.  By default, only the
person who started the X session can connect to the server.  I'm
guessing that you started X as a user then su'ed to root in an xterm, or
that you started X as root, and then the script runs as a different
user.

There are two ways to allow access to an X-server:

	1) xhost.  See man xhost.  As an example, 'xhost +localhost'
	   will allow anyone connected to your machine to connect to the
	   server.  This method is not recommended, as it is a big
	   security issue.  There should be more about this is the FAQs
	   'cos there was quite a lot on this list a couple of months
	   ago.  (2) is better:

	2) If you just want root to be able to connect to the server, su
	   to root in an xterm, then type:
		export XAUTHORITY=/home/<user>/.Xauthority
	   If you always want to use this with the same user (eg if you
	   have a single-user machine, you can add this to (eg) the
	   /root/bashrc or /root/bash_profile files, but you won't then
	   be able to actually start X as root.

HTH
Rich