Re: got plug and play? (more)

upon uninstalling lspci, the error did disappear, but I get this one instead:

lspci not found, so PCI resource conflict not checked.

I did look at the isapnp webpage on this error, and it says, well if this
happens, it probably won't. Any more ideas?

At 02:24 AM 3/31/99 +0000, you wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 08:09:55PM -0500, Jayson Baird wrote:
>> When using isapnp with lspci it says it tries to find the directory
>> /proc/bus/pci/...
>> but cannot. when I then go in to make the directory, I get an operation not
>> permitted error. It's nuts. Any other way to install PnP devices? or is
>> this an easy fix and it's just over my Linux-semi-newbie head? :)
>
>Wild guess... you'r running a 2.0.x kernel?  lspci only works with the
>2.1.x/2.2.x kernels.  Just uninstall the pciutils package and that error
>will disappear.  As for /proc/... - /proc is a virtual filesystem, not a
>physical one, which makes information from the kernel available.  As
>such, you can't create new files or directories there (though you can
>write new values to a few of them in order to modify the kernel's
>behaviour).
>
>What you probably want to do in order to get your PnP devices configured
>is to run pnpdump (as root), in order to create a config-file for
>isapnp.  Then you'll want to view/update it, in order to be sure that
>all the values are correct.  Finally, start isapnp and watch the
>messages.

		Jaysonsb@concentric.net
		Aleksandr1@rocketmail.com (Cyillic only)
		http://www.concentric.net/~jsbaird