Re: got plug and play?

On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 08:09:55PM -0500, Jayson Baird wrote:
> When using isapnp with lspci it says it tries to find the directory
> /proc/bus/pci/...
> but cannot. when I then go in to make the directory, I get an operation not
> permitted error. It's nuts. Any other way to install PnP devices? or is
> this an easy fix and it's just over my Linux-semi-newbie head? :)

Wild guess... you'r running a 2.0.x kernel?  lspci only works with the
2.1.x/2.2.x kernels.  Just uninstall the pciutils package and that error
will disappear.  As for /proc/... - /proc is a virtual filesystem, not a
physical one, which makes information from the kernel available.  As
such, you can't create new files or directories there (though you can
write new values to a few of them in order to modify the kernel's
behaviour).

What you probably want to do in order to get your PnP devices configured
is to run pnpdump (as root), in order to create a config-file for
isapnp.  Then you'll want to view/update it, in order to be sure that
all the values are correct.  Finally, start isapnp and watch the
messages.