Re: use the Windowkeys

On Mon, 29 Mar, 1999 à 01:39:10PM +0200, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
> :-> "Per-Olof" == Per-Olof Widstrom <pow@big.du.se> writes:
>
>     >  Is there a way to have some use for the windowskey on the keyboard?
>     > I would like to put / in one of the windowkeys, and ~ on the other one.
>
>     > Is there  a howto or something?
>

> If you intend to use it under X, try xkeycaps and then xmodmap.
>
> These are the definitions that I use on my setup:
>
> keycode 0x73 =	guillemotleft	guillemotright
> keycode 0x74 =	currency	cent
> keycode 0x75 =	copyright	registered
>
> I get the following charachters (I hope you can see them)
>
> Left Windows: ?« ?»
> Right Wind. : ?¤ ?¢
> Menu        : ?© ?®
>
> If you find a way to do the same at the console, please tell me :-)
>
> Also I would like to be able to get a compose key to work with a us
> keyboard, so that I can generate accented vowels needed in italian language.

I've put :

keycode  58 = Caps_Lock
        control keycode 58 = Compose

in /etc/kbd/default.map.gz (there's surely a more clever place but I didn't
care) and now CTRL-CapsLock is a compose key in the console (not X). I think
that on an us keyboard CTRL-. is already configured to be the Compose key,
make a try.

If you know the scancode of the winblows keys you should assign them
something useful in the same way (only 102 keys here so I can't test)

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       lcrpic@a2points.com                                  /~\