linux nfs trouble

I have a linux client that is mounting filesystems off of an ibm f50
running aix4.3.2.

The linux client can read from the aix box just fine, but when it
writes anything onto the nfs mounted drives, the writes are painfully
slow (68Kb/sec) on a 100Mb ethernet network.

I have read that this is due to the aix machine caching the writes and
not sending back the acks, and so the linux machine times out.

The linux machine is Debian hamm, running a 2.0.36 kernel.  I tried a
pre 2.2 kernel, but that did not fix the problem.

Does anyone know if what I read is actually causing the problem, but
more importantly, is there a solution to this problem?  All the other
machines on our network have no trouble writing to the nfs server.

Thanks,
Cam

--
Cam Schaus