Re: DOS partitions on a pure-linux box

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Damon Muller wrote:

> My question is, given that I have a largish HD, is it worth me
> formatting one of the partitions with DOS (OpenDOS, prolly)? I can live
> with a large image file for DOSEmu if need be, but it might be easier
> having a whole 100M or something to play with as a partition. Might be
> handy if I ever need to boot into DOS too (god forbid!).

 Why not? Having a partition instead of an image can improve performance,
and if you can spare the space, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't
have one.

 Of course, if you ever do want to boot DOS on it, you may have to put
that partition in the first 1024 cylinders, just so LILO can find it. And
make darn sure to store *only* DOS binaries and such on the partition.
After all, FAT doesn't have any permissions in the filesystem, and you
don't want to compromise security.

 You might even want to leave some unformatted space, too, just for future
expansion. Like if you want to install VMWare, it could be handy to set
aside 500MB for the virtual-Windows to live in. Or perhaps you'll want to
try out FreeBSD or whatever.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Suffering is good for the soul, but it is usually best to wait until
  the body has no choice in the matter."  -  Stephen Donaldson