Re: WTF is the difference between SysV and BSD was:[Re: Where is "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" on Debian?]

On 28 Mar 1999, Shaun Lipscombe wrote:

> Can someone please explain to me as to how one would tell if their
> system is Sys V or BSD.  Also what are the differences?  I have used
> Slackware, Redhat and Debian.  Redhat seems to be Sys V as does
> debian.  Slackware seems different ... is it BSD??

Well, Linux is not BSD or SvsV but the GNU commands (ps, df, and the like)
take, for the most part, Berkeleyesque command options. As for the init
structure ... most systems are a hybrid somewhere between the two but
Slack seems to use a more Berkeley init while other throw in some SysV
stuff for good measure.  In other words, its kindof a mess.