Slink install

I just installed Slink over Hamm.  In other words I used the official cd
and created new partions.  The base installed fine.  I got to the point
where you can pick which packages and  profiles to install on your
system.  I chose the "Custom" option.  When I got to the custom section
I couldn't select any of the options such as "Administrative" (something
like that).  I could move the cursor up and down but when I hit return
nothing was selected.  This part seemed to be broken.  I backed out of
that and selected "Dial-up" In the access method of dselect I chose to
install from cdrom set.  Hit update, hit install, dselect began
unpacking the programs then a message flashed by that said something
about a dpkg broken pipe.  Then tons of error messages I couldn't
catch.  Then I was put in the position in dselect to configure the
packages.  I selected that and got the following error,

running --pending --configure...
dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dokg/updates/0039' near line 1:
newline in field name '#padding'

dpkg --configure returned error
            exit status 2.

I was never asked to put the second cd in which surprised me.  I thought
Slink was a two cd installation.  Hamm was my first Linux instillation.
Worked the first time.  I guess I just got lucky.  I reinstalled Slink
three times and still get the errors I described.  What is going on with
this?
Thanks,
Kent