XFree86 & dselect questions

Hello,

I'm new to the Debian distro, and relatively new to Linux in general (was
using Red Hat until its security issues began to bother me).  Go easy on
me :)

several questions:

1. I can only run 'xinit' or 'startx' as root, running it from my regular
acct says that I don't have permissions to use it.  Any suggestions?  I'm
using xf86config to set it up

2. I'm really confused when it comes to the packaging system for debian.
Although RPM was a big reason for *leaving* Red Hat, I'm kind of put off
by 'dselect', and even more by 'dpkg'.  I bought the CD's from
cheapbytes.com, it's a 4 CD set, 2 binary, and 2 source...perhaps I'm
doing soemthing wrong, but was something as simple as Pine left out of the
distro?  Anywho, basically, I guess dselect is the easier way to do
things, but I can't even find Netscape in there.  Is there a page onthe
web or perhaps a HOWTO that describes these two things?

3. In RedHat, the 'su' command allowed and '-l' switch, which would take
the path settings of user to be su'ed to (ususally root in my case)...any
way to do that with the debian 'su'?

thanks so much!!
-lev