Re: Where is "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" on Debian?

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Christian Dysthe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some non-Debian packaged software I have wanted to install requires to be
> started at boot time. Often script bits are to be included in:
>
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> On my Debian system (slink) I can not figure out where to add this since I do
> not find rc,local.
>
> I am a newbie and do not undestand the init files in Debian yet. I have tried
> to read up on it, but I am still confused.
>
> Can anyone help me out, please?

Debian uses standard System V init files. There is no such thing as rc.d
or rc.local in SysV, they come from BSD unix. You can fix the problem
partially by creating a /etc/rc.d directory and then under that symlinking
/etc/rc1.d to /etc/rc.d/rc1/d and so on for rc1.d through rc6.d as well as
init.d.  Then you might create a file called local in /etc/init.d and
install it with update-rc.d with a 99 so it gets run last. Then symlink
/etc/init.d/local to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

In other words, it is probably beyond the scope of something a newbie
should do but maybe I will create a package called rhinit that will
autocreate a Red Hat compatable init structure on a Debian system using
such symlinks. It sucks. You should complain to Red Hat and ask them to
use either SysV or BSD but not a bastardization of both.

George Bonser

Support The THING -- http://shorelink.com/~grep/THING.html