Sorry, it's sound again, pls. help

Sorry if I'm just the zillionth user to ask how to configure the
soundcard, but this one doesn't seem to be a regular problem, I'm really
stuck and don't know where to look further. Rather, it looks like the
2.0.34 sound module or isapnp 1.15 are broken:

I have two Linux dists on the same machine, one is SuSE (2.0.32 based,
isapnp 1.10), the other one is a Debian system recently updated from 2.0
to 2.1 (2.0.34 based, isapnp 1.15). I want to stay with Debian and scrap
SuSE ASAP, but my soundcard won't work on Debian while on SuSE it does.
Apart from the above differences, the configuration is absolutely
identical: sound module in custom kernel with identical settings at
compile time, same isapnp.conf (as far as version differences allow).
I'm sure there are no resource conflicts. Devices audio and mixer are
root.audio owned with premissions 660, root being in the audio group.
When isapnp is run it issues ok, but in spite of that the devices
(audio, mixer) don't get configured, such that /dev/sndstat recognizes
the card with its correct resources but shows no devices (apart from
"Timers"):

Config options: 280002

Installed drivers:
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,5
SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 5 drq 0

Audio devices:

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

So I can't even cat an au. file to /dev/audio. I have tried everything I
could think of but didn't succeed. Maybe it's important to mention that
I have built the custom kernel _before_ upgrading to slink, but it
shouldn't matter IMHO, as the other modules do seem to work. (Anyway,
which _is_ the standard kernel for slink? Would it make sense to use 2.2
or to use ALSA? Where could I find 2.2 kernel debs? I'm asking this
because I really think there is a problem with the driver itself.) Also,
it didn't matter whether I booted from the custom boot disk or using
loadlin. Finally, having or not having lspci installed didn't make any
difference either...

Could someone please give me a hint where to look further for config
things, or whether I should just file a bug report with Debian and move
to another kernel.

Any help is great appreciated, thanks in advance,

-- Olaf