How to Email a Binary file from the command line

Hi all

I am wondering if anyone knows how to send a binary (.tar.gz) file from
the command line?  I am trying to write a "batch" (Sorry my old DOS
stuff coming back) program that tars and gzipps up some directorys and
then emails them to me.  All this for the purpose of backing up my
config files.  I can get the script to tar up the directorys that I
want, and then gzip them, but i can't figure out how to email them.

My system:

P-166
64M RAM
1G HD
Debian Slink
Smail (I think - it is the default MTA that comes with Hamm)

Thanks in advance

Jeff