Re: Can't get sound module installed

On Friday 26 March, Richard Harran wrote:

> Could someone please tell me either what I might be doing wrong, or how
> I could do the 'configure the sound driver with CONFIG_AUDIO option'
> thing.

have you done either "make config", "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig" before
the "make dep; make clean" ?

if not, that's your problem. you need to configure the kernel first so that
"make" knows which bits you want to build in. otherwise you won't be getting a
kernel that's customised to your hardware - you'll be getting the default,
which doesn't include audio support. "make menuconfig" and "make
xconfig" are nicer than "make config", but they all do the same job.

read the documentation in the Documentation subdirectory of the kernel
source.  I think there's a HOWTO on kernel compilation too - you'll find
it at http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/

--
Graham