Can't get sound module installed

I have had to reinstall debian on my system, and am having trouble with
the sound module.  I have a sb awe63 pnp card.  I've run the install
script from the awedrv package, configured the kernel (make menuconfig),
amd run
	make dep; make clean
however, when I try
	make modules
I get the following error:
	sb_common.c:21:#error You will need to configure the sound
	driver with CONFIG_AUDIO option
and make exits. The module sound.o is not installed in
/lib/modules/2.0.36/misc, so I can't load it up.

Could someone please tell me either what I might be doing wrong, or how
I could do the 'configure the sound driver with CONFIG_AUDIO option'
thing.

Thanks
Rich