Re: CD-R/RW Question

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 15:44:25 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>> Also, does linux handle the cd-rw's?  If so, are they worth the extra money
>> to get?
>
>IMO, no.  A CD-RW blank costs upwards of 30$ while a CD-R blank costs 1$
>to 1.80$ so you would need to blank a disc about 30 times before it's
>worthwhile cost-wise (and that's not taking into account the added cost of
>the drive).  For my purposes, if I want to delete a disc, I'll just break
>it over my knee or use it as a coaster.

I beg to differ.  CD-RW already came down in price, and you can find
$10 ones even at CompUSA and $5 ones through mail order.  Also you
might heard that CD-RW can be 'reburned' 'only' 700 times or so.  As
it turned out many will last over 1000 burns. CD-RW adds much more
flexibility to your setup:
1) you can use it as temporary collection 'bin' before you commit to
CD-R.  a place to dump, you know.  You can organize files better.
2) you can make your temporary 'distribution' of debian.  for example
I got hamm CD from cheapbytes, but I only use maybe 500 packages out
of 2000+, and for somethings, such as LILO*, I use my own binary.  So
I copy only the ones I need and replace stuffs that needs replacing.
The service packages that gets downloaded can be put in later.  once
hamm came out I start over again from scratch saving a disk.  actually
something like this is much more ehh.. useful for Win95, 95a, 98, 98
second edition etc...
3) you can use it as a backup device.  cd-rw is not the most ideal one
but it works and media is cheaper than many tapes.
4) you can try all sort of medieval stuffs with your CD-RW ^_^ without
worring about making a coaster.

I had rather exceptional luck, so far anyway, with my Nomai 680RW
which is just rebadged Ricoh 1600S.  I got it for $300 last January
1998!  Since than Nomai stopped operation in USA and if this thing
breaks down I will have to return it to France to get fixed, but so
far it's working just fine.  I can honestly say that I got my money's
worth out of this thing already.  Others who bought CD-RW at the time
will take a bit more time to recoup the cost, but I think most will
eventually.  I think you can get genuine richo 1600s for $350 or less
now...  get SCSI one especially if you already have IDE CD-ROM