Re: CD-R/RW Question

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Chris Hoover wrote:

> I'm looking at purchasing a cd-r /cd-rw in the near future, and was looking
> for some advice as to what to purchase.  My main linux box has both ide
> and scsi in it, so I can go either way.  I was wondering if there were
> advantages to going either with scsi or ide.  I'm looking more at ease
> of operating and installing under linux, not the inherent
> advantages/disadvantages of ide vs scsi.

If you possibly can spare the cash, I would reccomend SCSI.  If you do go
with IDE, you should put it on a seperate chain than that you intend to
use as your source drive for your image as IDE can only access one drive
at a time on each chain and switches back and forth, so you lose
throughput.  SCSI also (usually) supports more modes.

Both interfaces should work (I don't know how to set up IDE in linux,
though, AFAIK it's through SCSI emulation).  Take a look at the FAQ at
www.goldenhawk.com for info about firmware and models when you get close
to deciding what you want as they have excellent info about bugs on a good
deal of models.  They make a windows burning package but don't hold it
against them. :)

> Also, does linux handle the cd-rw's?  If so, are they worth the extra money
> to get?

IMO, no.  A CD-RW blank costs upwards of 30$ while a CD-R blank costs 1$
to 1.80$ so you would need to blank a disc about 30 times before it's
worthwhile cost-wise (and that's not taking into account the added cost of
the drive).  For my purposes, if I want to delete a disc, I'll just break
it over my knee or use it as a coaster.

HTH.

-Dano