Re: K-Rad Debian?

ESP wrote:
> 1) PGCC isn't in slink or potato.  I can't find it on FreshMeat,
>    either. Is it available as a .deb anywhere else?  or am I going to
>    have to build it from scratch, or use the RPMs from the PGCC site?

It's worth checking if the gcc in unstable can do the optimizations well
enough. Some, but not all of pgcc's optimizations are being merged back into
egcs, and the gcc in unstable is egcs.

> 2) Is there an easy way to set flags while building a source package,
>    like to say to use the amdk6 option?  Oh, and also, of course, to
>    say to use PGCC?

Check out pentium-builder.deb, in unstable.

> 3) Is there an easy way to build ALL the packages in slink from
>    source?

You can do this with dbuild.deb, amoung other autobuilders. Some packages
will fail, for various reasons.

> 4) Is anyone else interested in a K6-optimized version of Debian
>    (which I've dubbed "K-Rad Debian" in my own head, just because it
>    sounds good)?  I'd think it'd be great for pre-install on low-end
>    PCs, a lot of which use the K6.
>
> 5) Is this interesting enough to become an "official" port?

Well I've been working for a while on doing a pentium optimized version of
debian. However, my benchmarks of how much -mpentium helps when stuff like
gzip are build with egcs arn't too impressive. I've been thinking about
trying pgcc.

--
see shy jo