Re: K-Rad Debian?

    Me> 1) PGCC isn't in slink or potato.  I can't find it on
    Me> FreshMeat, either. Is it available as a .deb anywhere else?

    Joey> It's worth checking if the gcc in unstable can do the
    Joey> optimizations well enough.

EGCS specifically does NOT have the K6 optimizations.

    Joey> Check out pentium-builder.deb, in unstable. [other help...]

Alrighty!  Thanks for the pointers.

    Me> 4) Is anyone else interested in a K6-optimized version of
    Me> Debian (which I've dubbed "K-Rad Debian" in my own head, just
    Me> because it sounds good)?

    Joey> Well I've been working for a while on doing a pentium
    Joey> optimized version of debian. However, my benchmarks of how
    Joey> much -mpentium helps when stuff like gzip are build with
    Joey> egcs arn't too impressive. I've been thinking about trying
    Joey> pgcc.

OK, well pgcc claims a 2-30% improvement over straight i386 for
Pentium compiles.  So, neat.

Oh, here's a guy who did some comparisons with PGCC over EGCS.  some
things are clocked about 10% faster -- I don't know what that means.

	http://www.acnatsci.org/~gnielsen/pgcc/

Thanks for your help.

~ESP