Re: Slink's libc6 breaks ftp, telnet, etc...

> I have the following entries in my /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver
> domain
> search

I assime you know what these entries do...  specify you nameserver, domain and
also allows you to specify the order the domains are searched.

> The bug # is 34263
>
> At a moment, I am just confused how everything works, named, bind,
> /etc/resolv.conf....
>
> Could someone please clarify on this??

Well I thought if you look at nsswitch in the etc directory it tells you the
order it tries to resolve the name.  Mine simply goes /etc/hosts and queries
my locale machine which has named running but does not have any data files.
Then it goes out to our universities NS (specified in /etc/resolv.conf) and
grabs the address as it should.  This is fine, except when I unload named, all
resolution is off... that should not be.

My problem is not so much that, as I can nslookup names with either library
installed... but when I load SLINKS library, every program that is linked back
to libc6 (such as smail, telnet, ssh and ftp) do not resolve the name at any
cost (even though I can nslookup the name fine).  ncftp, which is linked to
libc5 works no problem....

Very odd, I will look at the bug report...

--Jay Barbee