Re: bash: /etc/profile, /etc/bashrc,

Environment variable definitions and such that should be set for ALL
users should be added to /etc/profile.  Since there's no assurance that
all users will have their logon shell set to bash (unless, of course,
it's your own home system), it's probably wise to stick with "traditional"
bourne-shell commands, and avoid any commands specific to
bash/ksh/zsh/whatever.

On a per-user basis, ~/.bash_profile is where you place commands to be
executed when you invoke a login shell.  Stuff you want for interactive,
non-login shells should be added to ~/.bashrc.  Of course, this set is
specific to the bash shell, and will differ if another shell is
selected.