Re: Problems installing Debian on a 486

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 03:03:28PM -0800, Alan Bailward wrote:
> > other machine, it brings up the boot: prompt, and then starts to load the
> > root FS from root.bin.. After loading for a while it fails with the message
> > "A20 gate not responding!"...
> [snip]
> > The problem machine is a 486DX33 with 8MB of RAM, if you need more info
> > about the hardware, please let me know.
>
> Could it be that the kernel on the rescue disk was compiled for 586+?  Could
> that be causing it?  I'm grasping I know, but... :)
>
> alan, out on a limb.

	The A20 line has something to do with working around a bug in memory
addressing that first showed up in 286's I think.  I don't really know much
about it, but on my 486, their is an option in the BIOS to set the line.
You might try changing this option in the Bios at boot and see if it helps.

	Gerald