Re: Newcomer to Linux

In <[🔎] Pine.HPP.3.96.990322173653.4578R-100000@hp9k2.csun.edu>, on 03/22/99
   at 05:48 PM, mike shupp <ms44278@csun1.csun.edu> said:

>To boot, as a general rule, your operating system must be on one of your
>hard disk's primary partitions.  You're allowed four of these and no more,
>and an extended partition counts as one of them.  You cannot boot from a
>logical drive.  In principle, you could get around
[...]

The Debian installation routine does a nice job of setting up LILO with the
necessary records in a case like this (at least, it did with me).  I had
placed my entire installation onto logical drives.  When prompted about LILO
being used (and answering yes) the program mentioned this issue of logical
drives, and placed the necessary records elsewhere.  Exactly where I'm
uncertain, but it works.

I dual boot WinNT and Debian.  (Actually, I boot Debian ... all the regular
students not in my class see only "LILO" flash by for 0.8 seconds, followed
by a normal NT boot.  What they don't know won't hurt 'em ...   :)

Kenward Vaughan
kaynjay@igalaxy.net

Sometimes too much to drink is not enough.