Re: Newcomer to Linux

On 21 Mar 1999, Bala Iyer wrote:

I have a Pentium 166 with 32MB memory with 2.1 HD. I have with
> fdisk partitioned an extented.logical drive with 894 mb. with resc1440.bin
> when I boot it goes on with many information on the screen and finally comes
> to boot: on enter it goes for installation and after checking for the keyboard
> wants for partitioning the hard drive.

To boot, as a general rule, your operating system must be on one
of your hard disk's primary partitions.  You're allowed four of these
and no more, and an extended partition counts as one of them.  You
cannot boot from a logical drive.  In principle, you could get around
this with a boot manager program which fed a doctored master boot
record image to the operating system, but it sounds like more work
than it's worth.  Give Linux its own partition or two.

   ms44278@huey.csun.edu
   Mike Shupp
   California State University, Northridge
   Graduate Student, Dept. of Anthropology