Re: Network configuration

On 22 Mar 1999, Shaun Lipscombe wrote:

> Yes this is true for stuff that you dont use night and day, like
> iso9660 support for instance.  I would like to see a good reason for
> not compiling NIC support right in, like how much will that enlarge
> the kernel by?  100k ?

The total sizes of the *.o files that are in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net
that seem to be associated with my PCI ne2000 card is about 20k.  I
usually install all the drivers for stuff that I know I'm going to use and
make modules for stuff (like the floppy and CD-ROM drivers and FAT and
ISO9660 file systems) that I need occasionally, but not all the time, and
for stuff (like the IPv6 stuff) that I think I might want to play around
with at some point, but which I don't really have a good excuse for
installing now.

Also, some of the smallest kernels (and complete installations) I've ever
installed were for routers and such.  User machines, which tend to have
sound cards and joysticks, and whatnot, tend to have larger kernels, in my
experience.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/