Re: Network configuration

True.

Not compiling network support in might cause the same problems as not
compiling in the device for the root file system, IE: not being able
to boot.  What I meant was that at some point, it is possible to make
the kernel too big and then SOMETHINGS need to be left out.  But this
is probably not a problem for the average desktop configuration.  But
for a server/firewall/router/raid/SMP monster it COULD happen.
However you would then leave as modules ONLY stuff that was NOT
required at init time.

Then only thing I leave as a module on my system is the sound card,
and then only because it is PNP and MUST be loaded AFTER init runs
ISAPNP before the modules are loaded.

---Shaun Lipscombe <shaun.lipscombe@gasops.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes this is true for stuff that you dont use night and day, like
> iso9660 support for instance.  I would like to see a good reason for
> not compiling NIC support right in, like how much will that enlarge
> the kernel by?  100k ?
>
> --
>
> arrangements jihad Treasury Soviet Cocaine Delta Force munitions Nazi
> Legion of Doom ammunition Noriega kibo CIA Honduras Uzi

==
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....