Re: sound

> In tere anyway to compile your kernel without have to use modules to
> enable sound

If you have a non-pnp card, yes. For example, I've played with the same
card as Doug for a while, and just gave up after a while. Found a
different sound card, SB16. It wasnt pnp, and after a quick kernel
recompilation it works fine. I compiled the driver into kernel.

> I ma using kernel 2.2.3 and I am trying to get a SB16 pnp card to work
> I believe I have read all of the neccesary documentation but I am still
> haveing trouble getting it to work this is my /dev/sndstat
> OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
> Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
> Kernel: Linux arrakis 2.2.3 #8 SMP Mon Mar 22 14:18:55 CST 1999 i686
> Config options: 0
>
> Installed drivers:
> Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
> Type 26: MPU-401 (UART)
> Type 2: Sound Blaster
> Type 29: Sound Blaster PnP
> Type 7: SB MPU-401
> Type 38: Yamaha OPL3-SA
> Type 40: OPL3-SA MIDI
> Type 37: Loopback MIDI Device

Creeps, you sure got a lot of drivers in there.

> Card config:
> (Yamaha OPL3-SA at 0x530 irq 11 drq 0,3)
> (OPL3-SA MIDI at 0x330 irq 9 drq 0)
> (Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,1)
> (SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 5 drq 0)
> (OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0)
> Loopback MIDI Device drq 0

See those ()? That means card you specified is not found. Reason being:
You compiled the drivers into kernel, but card is pnp, and therefor kernel
doesnt see it. If you initialize card with isapnp, kernel will STILL not
see it, because sound initialization occurs before isapnp gets a chance to
run and initialize cards. Thats why sound for pnp is compiled in modules.

> Audio devices:
>
> Synth devices:
>
> Midi devices:
> 0: Loopback MIDI Port 1
> 1: Loopback MIDI Port 2
>
> Timers:
> 0: System clock
>
> Mixers:

> I am not sure how to set it up after configuring it into my kernel if
> anyone can be of assitance I would greatly appriciate it.

Go to Windows, get the card parameters from there. Put all that stuff into
sound options. And you don't need that many devices. Compile sound as
module. Get isapnp to initialize card with same settings as you use in
sound module. Reboot. Watch dmesg to see that your sound card initializes
by isapnp without problems. Then insmod sound. And you should be done.

Andrew
 Andrei S. Ivanov
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu
 UIN 12402354