Re: Floppy install

I think I can help you.  I was trying to install Debian on a Dell 466L,
and had the same problem.  I'd get 'Booting LInux..." and then a blank
screen and a frozen machine.  I tried three new disks to no avail.  Red
Hat install disk worked fine (ugh!), but I kept trying the Debian disks.
Also tried the tecra disks, no dice.

Funny thing was that if I booted into DOS, put the root image and loadlin
on there, it booted fine.  Well, that led to my solution.  I copied the
root.bin and loadlin.exe (and related files) onto a floppy which was
formatted for DOS and had the DOS system files copied to it (sys a:).

I made an AUTOEXEC.BAT that was very similar to the INSTALL.BAT with comes
with Loadlin, except changed the references to the a: drive.  It worked.

It appears that this system doesnt like the syslinux.dll boot method for
some reason.  That was a bit unexpected, as it's a Dell, with a fairly
standard setup (16MB, 540 IDE, S3 onboard video).  Perhaps this method
should be added into the installation guide for those who have
similar problems, yet wish to stick with Debian...

(Email me if you want a disk image/dir listing/file attachments from the
rescue disk which finally worked...)

Gary