KDM restarting

I've noticed something over the past few days:

When I switch from my KDE session to the console using CTL-ALT-F1, sometimes
the background of the console (the text positions that DON'T have characters
in them) are given the ASCII block character.  All spaces and unused positions
are fill with this block.  Sometimes it's grey, sometimes other colors - but
mostly grey.

Also, there has been an instance or two that switching to the console has
forced KDM to restart - the only error I get is a that KDE terminated
unexpectedly.

Any idea what's up?

-Jay