Re: apt-get question

Hi Shawn,

you wrote on Sat, Mar 20 1999:

>In hamm, it was such a task to install a package in dselect because
>it rolls through every single package on the dist.  Does slink
>resolve this problem and more specifically, is apt-get the
>resolution?

You may have overlooked it: there was an apt in the original hamm
distribution, maybe a little hidden in directory tools on the first
(binary) CD. Could be installed with "dpkg -i /mnt/cdrom/(path)/apt..."

In dselect you then got the option "apt-get", switch to that,
configure /etc/apt/sources.list correctly, select your packages with
dselect (helps resolving conflicts), then quit dselect (don't install
with it!) and issue in the shell "apt-get dselect-upgrade". This
prevented the ennoying check of all packages already in hamm. But you
had to mount the cd-rom first (dselect did that for you if it wasn't
already mounted).

I'm still on hamm, but I see no reason, why this shouldn't work with
slink or potato.

Kind regards     Frederick

--
Why don't cannibals eat clowns? They taste funny.