Re: removing OnTrack DDO

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 07:26:03AM -0500, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> Getting rid of it should be just matter of replacing that code by
> overwriting it with some other boot loader such as Lilo - after booting
> from the floppy. I would definitely make a backup copy of that sector
> first with the dd command - just in case. At least then you have a
> record of the partition table values to work from if something goes
> wrong.
>
> Additional note: I believe Ontrack normally keeps it's own special
> partition table in the MBR (sector 1) which is unusable except by the
> Ontrack boot code, and then keeps the actual partition table at an
> offset of 63 sectors from that. Since you can access the partitions on
> that disk without Ontrack being loaded, it would seem that your real
> partition table is in the first sector - unless Linux is smart enough to
> figure out all of Ontrack's nonsense on it's own.

Linux does know how to detect Ontrack, and looks at the re-located
partition table. I know that I can remove it from the partition sector
easy enough using either LILO or "fdisk /mbr" from a clean DOS floppy,
but I want to move the real partition table back to the start of the disk
too. [Actually, linux fdisk must know about DDO too, because I've repartitioned
the disc with it with DDO installed.]

If I do trash the partition table, I can always re-enter the values
if I save them first.

thanks,
Hamish